So I just saw a tweet from our friends: Search Engine LandÂ love them, love the work, but unfortunately do not love the new redesign.
If you know me, I don’t write many articles on “SEO News”, as, well usually I don’t find Google updates that interesting, and wouldn’t be able to write an entire post on how Google is doing the same thing but slightly better and more effectively AKA an update. But SEland is a cool and relevant site so thought I would give it a quick once over so to the point at hand!
My Honest Review
What does everyone think of theÂ new design?
If you’re reading this, then you probably noticed the redesign too, as how else would you have ended up on this article….
Like I mentioned I am a big fan of search engine land in general but I think my overall thoughts of the refubÂ was negative and you can read why below.
To make it easier I just did something that all SEOs love – I made a list! of ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES (Which is actually a posh way of saying, things I liked and things I didn’t.)
1. SEland’s old site was in desperate need of a refurb. It looked MESSY! (Sorry bro)
2. More User Friendly – The mosaic style design is more user friendly on the face of it. (Not my user friendly but generally I think people will prefer it.) – It is more user friendly, not really a discussion it just is.
3. Below the fold – is actually pretty niceÂ – Looks like a news site, which is essentially what SEland is, but I don’t mind the paginated posts, especially in a fast 2014 where I and most people in online marketing only have 20 seconds before I decide whether I want to read an article or go back to what I was meant to be doing….
4. Sidebar is cooler – Footer is cleaner.
5. The mobile version is actually pretty cool – And workable. Tried it on the phone and indeed it does work and works well at that.
6. New is always better – Barney Stinson.
1. Very”in your face” – Huge picture of a red carpet, interesting yes, but not in a good way. (You said any marketing is good marketing…. Stop quoting me!)Â
2. Pictures are too big in the mosaic feature – Mosaic means “a picture or pattern produced by arranging together small pieces” and these big ass pictures aren’t small!Â This probably relates to my first con, but sure we can all see what SEland are trying to do, and they mention it
“The mosaic will be current and timely, but it wonât necessarily just be our most recent articles; weâll use that space to feature news and contributed articles that we donât want anyone to miss, even if theyâre a day or two old.”Â
Love the idea just don’t like the way in which is was implemented.Â
3. The “CMO Zone” – This smells fishyÂ to me. Your SELand not Marketing land, I know you have both and yay (well done) for that, but I don’t particularly like seeing unrelated news, even if it’s in its own little section with a special name.
4. Bigger text – This one might be controversial but bigger text is not really anything I care that much about. I’m 20, I don’t have bad eyes, so I like seeing a lot on the page. Arial 13.5? Seriously SEland I’m not 80!
5. I don’t like it. I don’t like change. – Stewie Griffin
In conclusion, the new design is not personally my cup of tea but is probably for the best for the site.
Please be reminded that this is only my personal view and SEland is a great website and I love the articles and authors on their site, but this is just my honest review of the new design.
But then again, who am I to talk about design! Have you seen this free wordpress theme!Â Haha
Leave a comment, share, like, all that good stuff!
Thanks for reading.